Pets, like people, need adequate amounts of sleep. Their bodies are designed to rest, just like ours are. When you wake up in the morning, your body is busy digesting your last meal, producing hormones that help you feel alert, and allowing your body to repair its tissues. This system works well for both people and animals, although the sleeping patterns of people and pets are not always the same.
If you have a pet, you know how important it is to make sure they get enough sleep. It is especially important when they are young but is still of concern for older pets. A lack of sleep can lead to a variety of health issues and even death. Not getting enough sleep can also cause behaviour problems, and it has been linked to obesity.
The amount of sleep your dog or cat needs varies by breed, size, age, and health. But what’s more important than how much sleep your pet needs is how well they sleep. You can’t assume how much sleep your pet is getting by looking at them. Your pet may be sleeping a lot, but your pet may also be sleeping a lot due to something called “sleep debt” — a state in which a pet is not getting enough sleep. It’s a real phenomenon that needs to be evaluated and treated because it can harm your pet’s overall health.
How To Know If Your Pet is Not Getting Enough Sleep?
It is common for us humans not to get enough sleep. We work long hours, go to school, and during the day, we often try to do two things at once. However, our furry friends often sleep too little. Dogs and cats need more sleep than humans, and during the day, they need around 14 hours of sleep per day to be in good health. This is not only important for the animal’s health, but it also impacts how they are treated by their owners. One thing to consider with this too, is if they are sleeping comfortably enough to get 14 hours of sleep daily. For example, bigger dog breeds like Rottweilers can suffer with skeletal and muscular issues, so an orthopedic bed, like those available at Bobby Bed, may be a good option to help improve their sleep and maintain their health.
As a pet owner, you know that life with your furry companions can get hectic. And while it’s hard to get a full night of sleep when you have a dog or cat, sleep deprivation isn’t good for your pets either.
Here are some signs that your pet is not getting a good night’s rest.
- Pets that don’t get enough sleep are stressed.
- Pets that don’t get enough sleep are more likely to pick up behavioral problems.
- Pets that don’t get enough sleep are more likely to suffer from medical problems.
- Your pet is licking his lips and yawning a lot.
- Your pet is making strange noises and barking or howling.
- Your pet is avoiding you or your other pets.
- Your pet is hiding, perhaps under the bed or behind the couch.
Tips to Make Sure Your Pet is Getting Enough Sleep
- Your pet needs as much sleep as you do. Plus, pets that sleep less than 12 hours a day may develop health issues like diabetes or cancer.
- You can give your pet a comfortable place to sleep, such as a dog bed (that is available at brands like Animals Matter), a cozy cat bed, or even a pillow.
- Pet owners should follow the same routine every day, so their pets can better understand what is expected of them.
- You can also give your pet a comfortable place they can call their own, such as a pillow, a cat tower, or a dog bed.
- If your pet is older than 8 years old, then you should pay even more attention. For example the type of bedding for dogs possibly might need to be changed to be more comfortable and supportive on an older dog.
- If your pet is not getting enough sleep, then you should pay attention.
- If your pet has trouble sleeping through the night, then you should worry. CBD products may be the solution you need to help your furry friend sleep. If you’re interested in taking that route, you can learn more about it on the website of mellowcbd.
- If you see your pet walking around at night, then you should worry even more.
Giving your pet enough sleep is important for his health. When your pet is constantly tired, he cannot perform to his full potential. Many pets sleep too little. Sleeping too much is also dangerous. You can test your pet’s sleeping habits by seeing how active he is. If your pet is constantly active, it is time to take him to the vet. The vet will check his health and can recommend changes to his diet and lifestyle.